I know that the topic of the month is Meltdown and Spectre. I am currently working on a post related to both vulnerabilities and how they affect SAP but for the moment I bring you some news about SAP Lumira. If you now SAP BusinessObjects is almost impossible that you don’t know about SAP Lumira. In case you don’t know about let me tell you that it is the application released by SAP to visualize and manipulate data from different data sources. The following video explains SAP Lumira in an easy way:
SAP is expending a lot of resources in SAP Lumira. Their idea is to get rid of applications for developing reports in SAP BO like SAP Design Studio, Webi reports, etc. and focus only on SAP Lumira in the future. I have been upgrading SAP Lumira from its version 1.0 to version 2.1 lately and there is a couple of things that I want to share with you.
Upgrading Lumira from 1.0 to 2.X
The process for upgrading SAP Lumira from version 1.0 to 2.X is not difficult at all. First you need to fulfill the SP and Patch level requirements. The following table shows the minimum SP and Patch required:
If you want to use SAP Lumira documents in the new BI Launchpad you will need SAP BI 4.2 SP05. After upgrading/updating your SAP BO BI Platform (or SAP BO IPS) the next step is upgrade SAP Lumira to 2.X. The process is quite easy and it only requires executing the upgrade software. It is also possible to upgrade from Design Studio 1.6 to SAP Lumira 2.o as explained here.
You can check all the requirements for SAP Lumira 2.1 here (it requires OSS user).
Migrating Documents from 1.0 to 2.X
SAP Lumira 2.0 introduces a new info object type (LUMX). The trick is that the SAP Lumira 1.0 documents (LUMS) are not compatible with SAP Lumira 1.0. If you want to open them in SAP BI Launchpad or SAP Lumira Discovery you will get an error. This is working as expected by SAP so don’t open a support message! You will need to convert the old documents to the new LUMX type following these SAP Notes:
These notes describes the full procedure to migrate the documents to the new type. Please check them because there are some differences between documents created in SAP Lumira 1.0 and 2.X. Your documents can have a different behavior in this new version, keep it in mind.
In case you cannot see the documents in the SAP Lumira Client 1.31.8 then check the SAP Note 2573906 – Lumira Desktop 1.31.8 not displaying documents when connecting to BIP after upgrade to Lumira 2.0. This SAP Note only applies if you upgrade to SAP Lumira 2.0. If you upgraded to SAP Lumira 2.1 you will need to export the documents from a SAP BO system with SAP Lumira 1.0. Let me remark this because I know some cases of people who upgraded to SAP Lumira 2.1 and they couldn’t export the documents because of this problem.
When you migrate the documents they are created with the LUMX type. This documents will be completely new objects. This means that they will have a new attributes compared with the old documents. In fact you can see both old and new documents in the folders where you save it. This means that if you use the document link to access the documents from a web you will need to modify those links. Otherwise when you access to the documents the old ones will be open!
Migrating Documents from Design Studio 1.6 to SAP Lumira 2.X
Another important SAP Note is 2538142 – SAP Lumira Designer 2.x – Conversion 1.6 to 2.x which explains how to convert documents from SAP Design Studio 1.6 to SAP Lumira 2.X. SAP will discontinue the maintenance of SAP Design Studio 1.6 in the future. This means that old documents created on Design Studio would have to be migrated/converted to SAP Lumira 2.X if you want to keep use them.
Installing the new clients
SAP Lumira 2.X comes with two different clients. You will need to install both if you want to fully work with the new version:
- SAP Lumira Discovery: Client for key business users. Quite similar to the old Lumira client.
- SAP Lumira Designer: Client for professional analysis application designers (consultants, advanced end-users, etc).
Tips when upgrading
I give you a couple of tips for upgrading to the new SAP Lumira versions:
- Upgrade first to version 2.0. The document migration is easier in SAP Lumira 2.0 since you can access to the documents using SAP Lumira Client 1.31.8. If you upgrade directly to SAP Lumira 2.1 from SAP Lumira 1.0 then you won’t be able to access to the documents with the old client.
- Don’t delete the old SAP Lumira client yet. You will need it in order to migrate the documents to the new version.
- Migrate the documents in the DEV system and them promote them to the rest of environments after migrating.
- Check really carefully the SAP Notes that describe the differences between SAP Lumira 1.0 and 2.X.
- Test all the documents before continue with the upgrade in the rest of environments. The reports can have a different behavior considering the version.
- After sucessfully migrate to SAP Lumira 2.0 you can upgrade to SAP Lumira 2.1. The process should be easier.
- Plan carefully the upgrade of the SAP BO BI Platform. From SAP BO 4.1 SP10 and SAP BO 4.2 SP4 the authentication mechanism and libraries changed. This means that you won’t be able to log into the BO system using old clients!
Good luck with your upgrades to SAP Lumira 2.X!